October 18, 2010

I saw Kit and Traps, ps tonight.

I drove up to Pehrspace listening to Sleater-Kinney and Wes Montgomery and Elf Power and some other stuff I put onto a disc. I have been crazy about music lately, I can't get enough. Right now there is no music playing and it feels like a waste of my ears.
The truth is, I have been thinking all night about writing a blog about the show I went to, because the last time I reviewed a show on here it was so well received, but now that it's all said and done, I am thinking much more about what a good time I had outside of the venue in the drizzle, reminiscent of Niagara Falls from what I'm told. I ended up only seeing the full sets of two out of five bands. The first band to play was a reconfigured Traps, ps. I was a bit skeptical seeing that there was only one member of the band I had seen, and enjoyed, in the past. But I was eager to hear Miles Winter (lead guitarist of Moses Campbell) play the drums and my good friend Danny Miller (guitarist for Rare Grooves) play the bass. I was not aware until moments before the set that Andrew MacKelvie (Moses Campbell drummer) was playing percussion with them. It was amazing. Frenetic guitar and vocals lead the way over a fast paced rhythmic groove set by the drums and bass, in an almost funky sort of feel, while maintaining the same spastic energy. A real treat, unless you are the guy I overheard outside on the phone saying they sucked.
After their set I had the pleasure of conversation with a lot of nice folks. I don't get much conversation, and even less good conversation, so this was a welcome treat.
I feel a little bit silly giving the names of people I do not personally know on my blog, but I am doing so out of admiration, and I hope everyone will understand that, if they read this blog and see their name. I am a fan.
Soon I heard the news I had been awaiting, Kit was about to play. I shuffled inside to see one of my favorite live bands of the moment. Their sets are always a lot of fun, and this one was no exception. They had the crowd jumping around and shouting, just having fun. Kit always seems to have the best crowds, I've never been hurt during one of their sets but I've always been shoved from here to there. I always enjoy the connection made with all of the other people around me, the unspoken joy we are all sharing... at least most of us. Toward the end of their set I felt something under my foot so I reached down and grabbed it, discovering that it was a set of keys. After the set I shouted to the crowd about my finding and the owner of the keys retrieved them from me. The keys belonged to Charlyne Yi. I was a little star struck, to be perfectly honest. She's in the movies! To be even more candid, I get the same feeling when I see Vice Cooler or Steve Touchstone. When I first heard XBXRX, I didn't have any idea I would ever be able to see these guys live. Amazon.com recommended Sixth in Sixes to me after I bought a Weasel Walter album, so I purchased.
I have a very high regard for the music scene in Los Angeles, and people like Jim Smith and Sean Carnage who make it possible. I am growing more and more excited about my move to the city, and I hope to be a bigger part of this community once I am local. Thanks to Michael Fierstein for putting this show together!

No comments:

Post a Comment