March 14, 2010

"It's still just master and dog"


Quasi played a great set last night to a small, yet devoted crowd. Even the guy missing a foot was rocking out. All three of them are so good. Janet Weiss has a way of cramming fills in everywhere without ever losing the beat, or dragging the groove down. Sam Coomes epitomizes that loose rock feeling both in the way he stumbles around the stage, and the way he lets his fingers stumble around the guitar, in a perfectly controlled manner. Joanna Bolme holds the bass so well with them, you would swear she had been with them from the beginning. She has blended the sounds of the seventies with today so beautifully. But what is truly remarkable is the three of them together. They are so in the moment and always keep the music on the verge of insanity. They hit the highs several times last night. The moments where everything comes together, and every member of the band is completely in the moment, playing to the moment, and being open to the next moment. Most bands reach this maybe once in a set, if at all. Quasi made it here several times with ease.
After the show I bought a signed vinyl copy of their new album. Oh, and I almost forgot to mention, we had a long wait for the show to start, so I did the field work for my new project, I am making a calendar! It will be for the year 2010, and I will be giving it to Trevor as a gift. Why? Because I am a good friend, that's why. I actually already made the whole damn thing, but when I went to print it it crashed my computer. I lost the calendar, and coincidentally lost this blog, well, the original version of it. In that crash I lost something else too, I lost a lot of respect for this computer.
So, the time moved ahead an hour last night. Today is a 23 hour day. Just another reason why I wish I could have taken that class on Friday and begun work this week. It would have been one hour easier to get onto the nocturnal schedule I will need to be on for my job. C'est la vie. I will do it next week anyway. Friday, wake up at 6:00AM, Sunday wake up at 8:00PM. Easy enough, right? Thinking about it now, I might ask for an extra day or two. I want to be on the ball for my first day.
Today I will be finishing up my home exercise, then I will probably go to the pool again. I may ride my bike first. After all of that, I will record/mix more music tonight. I will also probably buy more figs and mangoes.
That is all I have to say. Here is a video from last night edited by Trevor Martin:

No comments:

Post a Comment