March 11, 2010

Today's news in the world of David Estrin:

I chose to spend some time outside today, because I will be working nights very soon, and want to soak up a little sun first. I decided to ride my bicycle for awhile, and then stop by the pool for some laps. I did a nice ride, but near the end of it I got pulled over and ticketed for running a red light. I now will have to pay a hefty fine, and take traffic school... all without driving a car. I wonder what the case would be if I had no drivers license, would I still be allowed to take traffic school?
After that exceptionally lame encounter, I made it to the pool and had a pleasant swim. It was unfortunate timing, however, because I was a bit upset by the ticket. I got out, hit the hot tub, and got dressed. I took out my phone to call back my friend who had called while I was pulled over. What's this? I had missed a call earlier from the manager who conducted the interview I had a couple of days ago. I was informed that I would not need my social security card after all. This is great news... because I don't have one. I also got some other news that would fall into the "good" category, The five hour training class tomorrow will be paid. I am clocking my first five hours tomorrow. I will be working 8 hour night shifts (12:00AM - 8:00AM) five days a week. I am not too solid on all the details yet, but there are benefits. I will be making good money, well, good for me. I am not sure what my hourly wage is yet, but even at $8.00 I will be relatively loaded compared to what I am used to. The hardest part of the next few days will be changing my schedule. Tomorrow's class is at 9:00AM... Saturday I am going to see Quasi in Costa Mesa and hopefully stay up all night... Sunday I get myself fully nocturnal... Monday at midnight, report for duty.
Wish me luck.

1 comment:

  1. Bicyclists can get DUI's too. My Uncle was riding his bike home from a bar drunk, and he was hit by a car because he swerved into the car's lane. Now He is severely handicapped with brain damage, memory loss, and lives in an assisted living home. It makes me so sad for him. Congrats on the job though and don't worry I won't actually stalk you.

    ReplyDelete